Customer and employee safety is our number one priority. Please review the propane safety for you and your family. If you ever have questions about propane and / or your tank, please call Chaseburg Co-op at 608-483-2194.
- Propane is a tasteless, colorless, and odorless gas and is flammable when mixed with air. An odorant called ethyl mercaptin is added to propane to give it the odor.
- Propane vapor is heavier than air. This means that propane vapor will pool at the lowest point possible. It will pool in basements, crawl spaces, or along the floor.
- Odor fade can cause a propane leak to have very little smell with it. Odor fade can be caused by air, water, or rust in the tank or cylinder, propane is leaking underground and its passage through soil may remove odorant, or propane odor may stick to inside surfaces of gas piping and tanks.
- Propane gas leaks regardless of the size or volume of gas escaping, present a threat to both life and property. This threat comes in the form of fire, explosion, and suffocation.
- Evacuate immediately the building/residence without hanging up the phone or turning on/off light switches, appliance motors or anything else that could create a spark. Go to a safe area, make sure no one is injured, and DO NOT allow anyone to enter the building until service personnel arrive and the building is determined to be safe.
- A leak test must be performed on your system before gas can be delivered and a responsible adult (over the age of 18) must be present so the service person can have access to the home. Once the system passes a leak test Chaseburg Co-op must relight all gas appliances.
Out of Gas Procedures
If you run out of gas, take the following steps:
- Close the service valve on the propane tank.
- Shut off all appliance valves.
- Call Chaseburg Co-op immediately.
- It is imperative that the customer is at home so the Chaseburg Co-op personnel can check the entire gas system for leaks and light all pilots. This is a National Fire Protection Association requirement. If our driver arrives and no one is home, he will not put any gas in the tank. The return trip will result in an additional charge.
Charges for out of gas calls:
- Customers on a scheduled delivery will not be charged.
- Customers on will call, COD, or scheduled delivery that have delinquent accounts:
- $60 per trip during normal working days (Monday-Friday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm)
- $120 per trip after 3:30 pm or on weekends or holidays.
- $70 for an out of gas system leak test during normal working day (Monday-Friday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm)
- $120 for an out of gas system leak test after 3:30 pm or on weekends or holidays.